Uncolored map of wales from a 1676 edition of 'The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine' by John Speed published by Richard Chiswell and Thomas Bassett. Speed's work improved upon the work of Christopher Saxton, who produced the first county atlas of the 13 Welsh counties, by providing greater detail and including small inset plans of important towns on each map.
An elaborate cutout and strapwork border frames the map, which includes small vignettes of major towns in Wales: (left, top to bottom) Beaumaris, Carnarvan, Harlieg, Cardigan, Penbrok, and Carmarthen; (right, top to bottom) Denbigh, Flint, Montgomery, Radnor, Brecknok, and Cardife. There are four additional insets along the corners of the map that depict the churches of Bangor, St. Assaph, Landafe, and St. Davids along with the respective coat of arms.
Mounted on acidic board that obscured English text on verso.